Playing by the Rules: Reintroducing Dairy

Sorry, my dear readers. I may have lied mislead you about this post being the end of my talk of Whole30. Turns out it’s a pretty big life changing thing and I’m so interested and absorbed by it’s affects that I may be talking about it for a while.
Take it or leave it, I’m cool.

Now, there is actually a Whole30 protocol for reintroducing foods into your diet. And no, this isn’t it. Shortly after I wrote my last post (where I apparently made myself sound like a binge drinker) I read some posts from this person, who actually followed the rules with reintroducing non-Whole30 foods back into her diet and I found it incredibly interesting. It really made me think.

I just want to say though, in my defense, I really have been feeling great (aside from last weekend’sincident”) and just wanted to keep going the way I have been. Hey, if it isn’t broken…

But I have given myself this great opportunity to actually see how different foods affect me – I don’t want to waste it. The day is coming when I’ll be forced to leave my safe little Whole30 protective bubble and eat things that aren’t Whole30 compliant. Wouldn’t it be great to know ahead of time how it may or may not affect me and if an indulgence is going to be worth it? That’s kind of the whole point of this.

So I thought maybe I should give reintroduction a proper chance.

The Whole30 reintroduction protocol suggests starting with dairy (and not booze as I demonstrated last weekend). I figured today was as good a day as any to take the leap so this morning I bought myself a coffee with cream. (No sugar, thank you.) I drank it and I enjoyed it. Until about 20 minutes later when I started to get a gut ache. I got this yucky, painful tummy ache in the pit of my stomach. And once that passed I had a gurlging, uncomfortable digestive tract for a couple hours after. It didn’t feel very nice at all.

This reaction from a couple of shots of cream in my coffee? Interesting, to say the least.

Don’t misunderstand what I’m about to say, but I was kind of excited about my tummy ache. No, not excited to have a tummy ache, and not excited that cream will now go on my “avoid if possible” list, but excited that I was able to hear what my body was saying, in that it’s not crazy about dairy (at least in the form of cream - cheese will be my next test). Prior to W30, I was drinking a coffee with cream and sugar every single morning but with all the extra “noise” and never feeling as clear and as good as I do now, I never would have been able to notice any adverse reaction because there was so much other stuff blocking out the message.

Also, in the past, many things I’ve tried just don’t always work for me. I guess I half expected W30 to be the same. Sure I got (and continue to get) great results from it but surely if I never noticed any blatant food sensitivities before then I obviously don’t have any. Surely I would have noticed if something wasn’t right. Right?

Wrong. I just was numbed out by all the other “junk” (for lack of a better term) and wasn’t getting the message loud enough or clear enough.

Funny thing is that while doing W30 I broke my habit of having a coffee every morning. Instead I started having it as a treat, usually on weekends with a bit of coconut milk and some spices. In the meantime, I now like a cup of black tea on a more regular basis. And that works great for me.

Just one more way that Whole30 has blown my mind.