Recipe: Paleo Butter Chicken

I was looking for something a little different on Monday to make for dinner so I flipped through Sarah Fragoso's "Everyday Paleo" cookbook.  Came across the recipe for "Better Butter Chicken" and low and behold I had most of the ingredients for it and decided to go for it.  It turned out absolutely fantastic and even my kids loved it (with some brown rice) and asked for it in their lunch the next day. Steve and I had ours over spaghetti squash with a side of green beans.

I would only suggest that you maybe not decide to cook this for the first time on a Monday night when it's 25 degrees outside, your husband is working late and your kids are running around being assholes to each other.  Gets a little warm in the kitchen and under the collar...

BETTER BUTTER CHICKEN:

2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces.
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1 red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp cardamom (I didn't have any)
1/2 tsp coriander (I may have used a bit more)
1 tsp fenugreek (Also didn't have any of this but used Turmeric instead)
1 tsp chili powder
1 small tin tomato paste
1/2 can coconut milk
1 tsp sea salt
4 Tbsp Ghee or Organic Butter (I clarified some butter)

Notes: Recipe calls for 1 lb of steamed swiss chard but as I mentioned above I used spaghetti squash and loved it.

Recipe also says to add the chicken, raw at the end - after making the sauce.  I'm not crazy about this for health reasons so I would suggest pre-cooking the chicken.  

Directions:
In a large skillet or soup pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent.

Turn heat down to low.  Add garlic and spices (not salt), stir well to make a paste.

Add tomato paste to onions and spices and stir to make a very thick mixture.

Turn heat back up to medium and add coconut milk and salt.  Whisk to blend into a thick sauce.

Bring sauce to simmer and add chicken (cooked I say).  Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Then stir in butter.

Serve and enjoy...