Welcome, 2012

Here we are in 2012 and I welcome it with open arms.  

On New Years Eve day, Steve and Ruby went out for a bit in the morning.  Linc and I headed over to the store to pick up a few things.  The lady in the store gave him a cookie and he was quite content and I was happy to be out in the cold, fresh air getting a bit of exercise...

As noted from the above package of paper towels, I spent much of New Years Eve day cleaning the house and preparing to welcome 2012.  I wanted the house to be as clean as possible (which is not an easy task when you have two littles) to help rid us of the negativity of 2011.  After mopping the floors I had Steve and the kids stand in the window as I tossed the bucket full of dirty water past the front window.  This was to scare off bad luck for 2012.  

Late in the afternoon, Steve and I had a couple of glasses of cold beer.  We drank from the beer glasses that I bought him for Christmas.  I found them at the One of a Kind Tradeshow back in December.  And one of a kind they are.  They're beer bottles, which have been upcylcled into beer glasses by a very clever glass blower. Only trouble is that they make drinking beer a little too easy...


And then we had a little party...

In typical 2011 fashion, December 31st was a struggle right to the bitter end.  The kids got cranky in the afternoon and then did NOT want to go to bed.  They stayed up later than we would have liked and did not go down easy.

Once they were finally resting and the house had quieted down, I put pen to paper and wrote out the list of things that I wanted to say goodbye to from 2011.  The list was a long one...

I then headed out to the yard to dig a hole, light my list on fire and bury it.  And afterwards pour water over the burial...

I really felt good doing this ritual and hope to make it an annual tradition.  Although I do hope that every year is not as hard as this one.  When I came in the house afterwards, I had the smell of fire on my hands which made it feel even more satisfying.

Although I had hoped that I might stay up until midnight to welcome 2012, I didn't make it past 10pm. I had to wait to welcome it the following morning - which was fine.

To be fair, some really good things did happen in 2011.  I found the most wonderful daycare for my kids. Lincoln learned to walk.  I went to visit my Grandma and family/friends in Ontario for Thanksgiving.  I lost 30lbs. I survived the hardest year ever.  None of those things happened without hard work.

Now, I realize that burning a piece of paper and tearing December off the calendar does not magically make life different, but rolling over a new year is the perfect time to reflect and make goals and changes for a better life. And it's a good time to try to make a clean break from negativity of the past.  Good things don't just happen, you have to work at them.  And I'm ready to get to work.