Saturday Stir-Fry


We had a rare, "relaxing" Saturday yesterday.  And by relaxing, I mean that Ruby was sick and layed on the couch most of the day and Lincoln was content to play on his own and only assault her occasionally.  The Canucks game was on at 10am and Steve was glued to it, yelling at the refs and random Boston Bruins players all morning. 

I got out first thing and went for a run.  I've been running all week but yesterday morning was the first time  I've felt like I am starting to regain some of the momentum and endurance that I lost during my 3 week hiatus from my running shoes. Since we really had no plans for the day, I was able to take my time in the shower and then put on some sweats and make a post workout smoothie which totally hit the spot.  And afterwards I puttered around the house, catching some of the game and tidying up my house.  
Considering my extra small kitchen and my kids gravitational pull to it whenever I set foot in it, I usually opt for the simpler, easier to prepare and clean up after meals.  But yesterday I was feeling good and on top of things and I wanted to make something different for dinner.  I even found some time to flip through my recipe books to find something good. (Will the wonders never cease?)

I came across a recipe that I made back in the days when I had the luxury of time and space and had no little people or neck breaking toys loitering in my kitchen, and remember how delicious it was, I decided I'd make it - with some modifications to lower the point for Weight Watchers purposes.  

The recipe required quite a bit of prep work which I did all before I even turned on the stove. Having everything cut up, shredded, stirred, weighed and measured ahead of time was time consuming but it made the actual cooking of the dish so quick and easy.

The final result was an absolutely delicious dinner.  Some different flavours and tastes which I very much enjoyed.  As did Steve, who went back for thirds seconds and may or may not have been up in the middle of the night sneaking leftovers...

Below is the recipe for "Shrimp and Pork Noodles" exactly as it is listed in the Company's Coming Most Love Stir Frys - and my modifications are listed below the recipe with Weight Watchers points.


SHRIMP AND PORK NOODLES
7oz (200g) Fresh, thin Chinese-style egg noodles
1 1/2 tsp cooking oil


2 tbsp Soy sauce
2 tsp Cornstarch
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
2 tbsp Liquid honey
2 tbsp Dry Sherry
2 tbsp Water
1/2 1 tsp Chili Paste (sambal oelek)


2 tsp cooking oil
3/4 lb frozen, uncooked medium shrimp (peeled and deveined), thawed


1 tbsp cooking oil
1 Med onion, halved an cut into 12 wedges
1 cup chopped red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 tsp powder)
1 tsp finely grated ginger root (or 1/4 tsp powder)


3/4 lb lean ground pork


2 cups thinly sliced cabbage


Put noodles into large heatproof bowl.  Cover with boiling water. Let stand for about 5mins until softened. Drain.


Add first amount of cooking oil. Toss. Cover to keep warm.


Stir soy sauce into cornstarch in small bowl.  Add next 5 ingredients.  Stir. Set aside.


Heat wok or large frying pan on med-high. until very hot.  Add second amount of cooking oil. 
Add shrimp. Stir-fry for about 1 min until shrimp turn pink.  Transfer to separate small bowl.  Cover to keep warm.


Add third amount of cooking oil to hot wok.  Add next 4 ingreds. Stir-fry for about 1 minute until fragrant.


Add pork. Stir-fry for about 5 mins until pork is no longer pink.  Stir cornstarch mixture.  Add to pork mixture.  Stir-fry for about 1 minute until boiling and thickened.


Add noodles and cabbage.  Stir-fry for about 2 mins until cabbage is tender-crisp.  Add shrimp. Stir.


Serves 6.  About 1.5 cups per serving.  11 points.


Weight Watchers modifications:  I used House Foods Shirataki tofu noodles in place of egg noddles and omitted the oil for tossing them in.  If you are cutting back on carbs and calories and you haven't tried these noodles yet - you are seriously missing out.  Get on it, and don't be scared of them!  Make sure to follow package directions for preparation though. (very important).

I also reduced the 3 amount of cooking oil from 1tbsp to 2 tsp. (small change but every bit helps)

I used at least 3 cups of cabbage instead of 2

I also made sure to use fresh, real garlic and ginger.  This makes such a difference for flavour.  And of course, as is instilled in me by my family, when the recipe calls for 2 garlic cloves we always use 3.

With the WW modifications it brings each 1.5 cup serving down to 8 points each.  And worth every last point.  I would have licked the bowl if Steve would have just bloody well turned his back for a second!