Being Real

I am a proud woman and giving up is not something I do often. Nor is quitting something I take lightly. But the program assigned to me by the trainer at my gym is not one that I can feasibly work into my life right now. When I was finally able to step back from it and look at the big picture, the whole thing was really quite simple. It just doesn’t fit with my current life situation.

Today I wrote the trainer a letter politely thanking her for all she’s done for me, but declined any further sessions and let her know that I was going to go forward with cancelling my gym membership as I am just not getting the use out of it that warrants the monthly fee.

Immediately after hitting “send”, I felt lighter.

This doesn’t mean that I will now hang up my runners and sit on my ass and eat potato chips and immerse myself in reality TV every evening – on the contrary I have looked into different facilities and various exercise options in my community and plan on checking out some fitness classes offered at the local rec centre. I’ve also always got my ear to the ground for new and challenging things to try to push myself beyond my regular routine.

I was never looking for a personal trainer but one was presented to me. I tried it and it didn’t work out. That doesn’t make me a failure or a quitter or a flake. It makes me a realist.