Ripe!

I spy...

 with my little eye...
 something that is RED!
 Finally!  I've got a ripe tomato!  Pretty pleased with it - although concerned that summer is over, I've got a LOT of green tomatoes and the plants have run their course and are starting to die.  I'm afraid they may not have a chance to ripen.  My mother-in-law, who makes delicious chutney, does tell me that she has a recipe for green tomato chutney.  I may be making a batch of that sooner than later.

But for today, I am happy to report that I picked our *first ripe tomato and I enjoyed it in a toasted tomato sandwich for lunch! 



*This is actually our second ripe tomato.  Sadly, the first ripe tomato mysteriously disappeared from the vine and was found one story below our patio, splattered on the concrete.  There were two possible suspects at the time - one who likes to pick tomatoes off the vine and one who loves to throw "balls" off the deck.  Nobody is admitting to anything...