Goodness

I wrote a post a while back about the condition of my grandmother and how difficult it was to be so far away from her while she was in such poor, ailing health.  Since then, grandma diagnosed with congestive heart failure.  She was eventually allowed to leave the hospital and return home where she is being closely monitored and cared for by family members. We are all on pins and needles, still getting daily updates on the ups and downs of her health - trying to keep the knowledge that our time with her is limited out of the forefront of our thoughts. 

My mom is handling it a little bit better now but I know she struggles with being so far away from her mom in this difficult time.  All she wants is to be there with her.  Myself, I have tried not to think about it too much, holding on to the little bits of good news - knowing there is little to nothing I can do. To put it bluntly - it sucks.

Then two days ago, my mom's boss informed her that he was going to be giving her a couple days off and that he would also be paying for her to fly "home" to go visit her mom. She was shocked and absolutely delighted! (And guilty feeling of course, we can't forget the guilt!) Nobody could deserve this more than my mom.  She is a dedicated, hard working, giving, selfless woman who has given her life to look after others.  She would otherwise not see my grandma again before she passes.  For someone to give her this gift is absolutely amazing and brought me to tears.  There are some very good people in the world.

Shortly after finding this out, Steve started encouraging me to take Ruby and to join her.  On a whim I looked up the flights and found them to be an exorbitant amount of money - money that I do NOT have - so I decided there was no way I could pull it off.  But the seed had been planted. I couldn't stop thinking about it. How fantastic would it be for me to get to see grandma again!  And having Ruby there to bring her sparkling light to everyone would just make it that much better.  I must have visited the Air Canada website about 47 times.  I must have talked Steve's ear off, trying to get him to come up with a magical solution to the money issue.  I went to bed last night having made the decision that I just could not afford the $1200 flight costs. 

I woke up this morning, walked to my computer and booked our flights on my "emergency" credit card.

I don't know what changed overnight but this morning I just felt like this was what needed to happen.

I had Ruby call my mom this morning to tell her, "I go visit G.G. with you, Grammy! On the big airplane!"

My mom is so excited, as am I. 

My mom called me later this morning to tell me that my dad has decided to cash in some of his vacation time in order to give me a few hundred dollars to contribute to the cost of Ruby's flight.  This is big for my dad as he is pretty tight with his cash.  I am beside myself with happiness and appreciation!

Kindness begets kindness.

It will be a very short trip.  We leave October 6th and return on the 10th - but we will be there for Thanksgiving.

I will have a lot to be thankful for.