Tomatoes

Way back at the end of May when we had a rare sunny Sunday afternoon (if we only knew how rare), and we were desperate for some sort of outdoor activity after so many months of rain. 

So for fun we headed to the local Rona and let the kids pick out a couple of tomato plants...

 Which we then took home and transplanted and fed some tomato plant food...


We gave them a little water... 

And then we set them out to let them grow. I gave them a slim chance of survival, nevermind producing any tomatoes.  I am NOT a gardener.

Ok, truth be known I just really liked the big red pots and wanted an excuse to have them on my patio...

Considering the adversity that they had to overcome, I am proud and surprised that they have turned into these, big (albiet a bit scraggy) bountiful tomato plants...

They've survived poking and prodding...

And some pre-mature harvesting...

But their branches are full of tons and tons of tomatoes...




I suppose we're not in the clear yet as they are all still green and who knows what could still happen to them before they have a chance to ripen.  But the fact that they've made it this far is amazing to me.