Wine Class

About three weeks ago, I attended a lesson on Italian wines at the Italian Cultural Centre.  The class was taught by none other than my good friend, Winesnob

I've been wanting to write about my experience since about 5 minutes after the class was over, but as often happens to me these days my life got in the way. 

Better late than never.

I'd long been wanting to learn more about wine and thought this the perfect opportunity for that.  I couldn't have been more right.

Although Winesnob (Marta) is an accredited Sommelier - and I a wine simpleton - she taught the two hour class in a way that made full sense to me, was interesting and was not at all over my head.  There were others in the class who obviously had much more experience and knowledge than myself and as I looked around at the class I could see that Marta had each and every person's full attention and interest. 

I will admit that sitting in a class room setting with two of my girlfriends, who attended the class with me, made it very hard for me not to giggle when Marta advised that there was an empty cup on the table for those who chose to spit instead of swallow and had I made eye contact with either of my girlfriends I would have embarrassed myself with an inappropriate comment or outburst.  Marta stayed the course though,  as a true professional would.

Marta didn't hand select the wines chosen for the lesson and sampling, but she had full knowledge of each and every one of them (one white, three reds), and there was no question asked that she didn't have an answer to.  The wines were lovely and I came away with a new favorite red: Mastroberardino Aglianico Campania 2007. (Don't I sound fancy!?)

Marta looked lovely. She spoke eloquently and confidently. She applied just enough sense of humor to make it fun while educating the class on Italian wine (and wine in general). I couldn't help but to feel a sense of pride that she is my close friend. I also couldn't help but think about how proud her late father - an immigrant from Italy who made his own wine, would be of her. 

She is a phenomenal speaker and teacher and should you get the opportunity to attend any future classes that she instructs, I think you should jump at the chance.

Cheers!