Engagement Anniversary

8 years ago today, unbeknownst to me, Steve phoned my father and asked for his permission to request my hand in marriage.  Later that morning he took me for a walk along a beautiful wharf on a river bank, and while harbour seals played happily in the water, and the sun glinted off the waves, he slipped a ring on my finger and asked me to be his wife.  He then pulled a folded piece of paper from his pocket and read a poem that he, himself had written just for me. He then took me to our favorite restaurant for our first lunch as an engaged couple.

As I sit here today, reflecting back over the past 8 years I have come to realize that the magical day of our engagement so many years ago, used up every, single, romantic molecule that Steve had in his body - tapping him dry for the rest of our life together.