I get it now...

I remember when I was a kid, asking my mom what she wanted for Mothers Day. More than once I know she replied, “I just want good kids.” Meaning she wanted us to behave for the day and that was all she required to have a nice day. I thought that was kind of dumb and also frustrating. It was Mothers Day after all, which meant we needed to get her a present! Something tangible. (Besides, being good was a tall order.) I always thought that she gave that particular response because she didn’t feel right asking for a gift.

Yesterday both Ruby and Steve each got me a lovely Mothers Day card. Ruby also gave me a gift card to Tim Hortons. We also went out for a nice breakfast. I had specifically asked for them not to spend too much money because I didn’t feel like it was about that.

We then spent the day together, mostly outside in the beautiful sunshine. Steve and I did yard work while Ruby played. Ruby was really well behaved and fun and funny and giggly. She took her naps without protest. She was free with dishing out kisses. Steve and I never argued once.

While I loved my cards and the gift card and having breakfast out was a nice treat, what truly made my day special was spending the day together as a family and having everyone be happy and well behaved.

At some point during the day I flashed back to those times when my mom had requested “good kids” for Mothers Day and I realized that… I get it now. What truly makes the day a good day is not the material things (don’t get me wrong, they are still necessary components of a successful Mothers Day), but having everyone happy and well behaved and charming really are what made my day extra special.

I realize that my mother wasn’t just being too kind to ask for a gift. Good kids would have been the greatest gift ever for her. Especially considering the usually constant battles waging between my my brother and I.

I was able to spend some time with my mom this weekend and I hope that it made her Mothers Day happy (I was very well behaved!). And I hope the bottle of wine that I bought her was able to dull the memories of Mothers Days past when she didn't get what she asked for.