Playing my cards right

I’ve probably mentioned before (in some tirade) that Steve and I share one vehicle. I drive him to work in the morning, then take Ruby to daycare then head to work myself. We can't exactly get by without our one car.

The car has been acting up a bit in the past few weeks and my pleas to Steve to have it looked at and repaired have fallen on deaf ears.

Cars don’t magically fix themselves. Car problems rarely, if ever, just disappear. They only progress to become worse and worse until you one day find yourself standing on the side of the road with your thumb sticking out.

Yesterday when I was on my route the car really started acting up. I was actually afraid that I might not make it to work or home again afterwards.

When I got to work I immediately called Steve and advised him that the car could no longer be ignored and that it needed to be fixed today. Like, now.

He called me back a few minutes later with the following solution:

Steve: I called “my place” and they said that if I drop the car off by 6pm tonight they will try to have a look at it tomorrow. I guess I’ll have to walk to work tomorrow.

Tarable: And what about the rest of us??

Steve: Oh. Yeah. I guess I will have to walk Ruby to her daycare.

Tarable: And me? Your pregnant wife? How will I get to work tomorrow.

Steve: I’ll find a way to get you to work.

Tarable: How???

Steve: I don’t know. I’ll find a way.


Uh, yeah. That just wasn’t going to work for me.

So after giving the man of the house his chance to get this issue taken care of and not liking his solution, I called “my place”.

Tarable: Hi there. Just wondering if I could get my car in today to be looked at and if I need an appointment?

Car Fixing Dude: Hmmm… today???

I didn’t want to have to do this but I had to play some cards that I don’t usually like to play…

Tarable: Yes, you see my husband and I only have one vehicle. And besides getting he and I to work every morning I also have a one year old daughter that I need to take to daycare every morning.

Car Fixing Dude
: Ohhh...

At that point I was pretty sure I had him but I was on a roll and I figured I'd lay them all down…

Tarable: I’m also 5 months pregnant and I wasn’t sure I was going to make it over the Alex Fraser Bridge this morning during rush hour. Please don’t make me be that person.

Car Fixing Dude: Oh my god, no. We don’t want that! Can you get it in here by noon?

Why yes. Yes I can.

My car was ready within three hours of being dropped off and merely needed a couple of spark plugs and a new air filter. I was informed by the Car Fixing Dude that it now “runs like a top”. Indeed it does.

Thank you. It’s a pleasure playing cards… uh, I mean doing business with you.