Encouragment from an unlikely source

I woke up this morning still feeling a little bit hurt from an inconsiderate comment that was made in regards to my weight, that silenced a room of eight last night. The person who made the comment either didn't notice that it hurt my feelings or they just pretended to not notice. This at a time when I was a little bit vulnerable, and needing/wanting support from those close to me.

So I did what I do and I laced up my runners and took off for a run in the cool morning.

As I was jogging along the street, I saw a dark figure approaching me - kind of zig-zagging along the sidewalk, cigarette hanging from fingers. As the figure got closer I saw that it was a woman in a dark hoodie who was, by the looks of things, still enjoying the effects of the night before. I could see that she was indeed still drunk and possibly/probably still high. And she was looking intently at me. Her eyes not leaving my eyes.

I thought, "Oh great. Here we go..."

But when she got close enough to me, she got a big grin on her face and pumped her fist in the air and gave me a big thumbs up. She then said "YEAH! GOOD FOR YOU! YOU GO GIRL!!!", loud enough to be heard over my ipod.

And you know what? It made me smile. Here I was out first thing in the morning, working my ass off trying to keep my weight and my mind on an even keel, and this random stranger was giving me encouragement when I needed it. So what if she was perhaps a crackhead, all the more reason for it to make me feel happy inside. Because she's obviously not in the ideal place in life right now but she still gave encouragement to a stranger. And hell, I appreciated it.

So my run did exactly what I needed it to do. I burned some calories and cleared my heart and my mind, thanks in part to a complete stranger who was probably down and out on their luck. Hey I'll take that positive energy wherever, whenever and from whomever I can. If it can't come from those close to me, then why not from a stranger?

Maybe that's even better anyways.