Hungry?

I've lost almost all of the 68lbs that I gained during my pregnancy (including the baby) and would like to keep on going. Funny, with all my issues around weight - I don't feel terrible at all about the amount of weight I gained during pregnancy. I feel like I looked good. I didn't look overly "fat". And I enjoyed every little bit of food that I ate. I made sure of it. My motto was this, "If there's ever a time when I should enjoy what I'm eating - it's now." And so I did. Besides that, I knew I would work my ass off (literally) to lose it once baby was born. And I did. Six months later, I'm in my pre-pregnancy jeans (actually almost missed wearing them as they're getting a little loose already). That's a huge accomplishment considering how much time I do not have to spend on fussing over what I eat these days.

15.6 of those 68 pounds have been lost since starting Weight Watchers online back in March. That was when I decided I needed the little extra help/push/motivation/structure that Weight Watchers provides. Well, and you people also "encouraged" me in that direction.

I've never been a fast weight loser, but I am a steady and determined one. And as long as I don't get frustrated with losing slowly, and stay focused (yet still allow myself to "stray" every once in a while), I can and will do this. Proof is in the pudding (although I'm not crazy about pudding)

I know I've picked up a few readers along the way that are also doing the whole WW thing - and some I know who are wanting to start and are looking for some encouragement. I thought I'd do a post about food that I like and stuff that works for me.
I've got a slightly different spin on what I eat these days since I'm now a busy mom who doesn't have a lot of extra time to fuss over stuff (except for when I'm occasionally blessed with an extra long baby nap).


So just move along if you're not interested...


~~~
Since I am now busy with taking care of a 6+ month old baby, and have to make sure she's happy and fed and clean before I can worry about myself being happy and fed and clean - I've had to learn some shortcuts when it comes to doing WW and preparing meals.
The first thing that I do? Stock up my freezer with points friendly frozen meals and frozen veggies. I know that eating frozen meals is not ideal, but if you're in a hurry, sometimes having a quick meal to throw in the microwave can be a life saver. Frozen veggies are also very handy when you're in a hurry to prepare a meal and are short on time and can't get to the store to get fresh. Costco sells a giant bag of green beans that are really very delicious and inexpensive.

I also make sure I keep a container of grated light cheddar in my fridge at all times. (1oz = 2 points)I use it to top my steamed veggies, to add to a sandwich, or breakfast. So handy. I bought one of those cheese grater/container all-in-one things at Ikea. Best invention ever! And cheese that is grated seems to go farther than if you are slicing it. Seems like you get more. Or maybe that's just me.
I also keep a small dish of chopped up green onions in my fridge. Chopped green onions are delish, and add such nice flavour to so many things. Like eggs. Or as a topping for baked potatoes. It just makes things taste a little nicer and a little more fancy looking.

I also like to keep a couple boiled eggs on hand in the fridge as well. Only 2 points on their own. Or they are also great sliced on a piece of toast (3 points total) for a low point breakfast or a good snack.

Another great idea is to buy those already cooked whole chickens from the grocery store. When I get them home I "disassemble" them while they're still warm (they come apart easier when they're warm) I toss out the skin, and remove all the meat from the bones. I keep the chicken meat in a container in the fridge for snacking or sandwiches or whatever. This is also an easy-way-out dinner.

Here's some of the stuff that I like to eat:


BREAKFAST:

I always eat breakfast - usually something with eggs. Eggs are satisfying and give me energy. One of my fave breakfasts is a breakfast sandwich. I use 2 slices of the Weight Watchers bread, toasted. I scramble one egg with some chopped green onions and throw in one oz of chopped up Schneider's Fat Free Ham (super low in points - 2oz = 1pt). Top it with 1/4 oz of light cheddar (that's all you really need) and voila! You have a breakfast sandwich for only 4 points:
I would normally make that while the baby is having her first nap of the day. But if by chance, we're not into napping that day - or I'm too busy to "cook" something. I have a standby - in the freezer. President's Choice Steel Cut Oats with Blueberries. I get it at Superstore (freezer section). This oatmeal is ready and prepared -frozen in a bowl and it just pops in the microwave for 3 minutes or so and then you have a delicious, nutritious bowl of steaming hot goodness. (If I'm needing a little extra sweetness, I sprinkle some Brown Sugar Twin on top - 0 points.) If you throw in a glass of Tropicana Orange juice, the whole breakfast is only 5 points (3 for cereal, 2 for juice). AND you get in a serving of fruits/veggies.


LUNCH:

Lunch can sometimes be a tough one for me. I find that making a good sandwich usually costs too many points, and a lot of the time I'm not really all that into sandwiches anyways. I kinda like warm lunches. One of my long time favorite things to make (if I have time) is a piece of Highliners Wild Salmon with Dill Sauce (also comes in roasted garlic sauce and teriyaki sauce) and a side of steamed broccoli and cauliflower with 1oz of grated light cheddar melted on top. 5 points for the whole meal. The dilled salmon is only 3 points per fillet. They come frozen and you bake them. If I had a few extra points to spare, I might throw in a half cup of rice for an extra 2 points. Here's a picture of my actual lunch today:

And the box they come in:

If I'm short on time (and even if I'm not) - I have found the Weight Watchers Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans (Smart Ones frozen entree) to be so delicious and comforting and just ohhhh soooo good. It's cheesy and tasty and... gah! My mouth is watering thinking about it. Sometimes I'll steam up some broccoli and cauliflower or green beans and throw it on the side to get in some veggies. The Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans entree is 6 points. So worth it. The picture on the box does not do it justice.


I sometimes also buy the Eating Right (Safeway), Italian Chicken Tomato Lasagna. Now usually I despise pre-packaged, frozen lasagna (or any tomatoey meal for that matter). I think it tastes... well... pre-packaged. But this stuff I do not mind. Not at all. It does take about an hour and a half to cook - but I usually bake it one evening or afternoon while I'm doing other stuff and then cool it and put it in the fridge for quick and easy lunches for a couple of days. It's only 4 points per cup.

Note: It does not look like the picture on the box when it's cooked. But it still tastes good.
DINNER:

I'm a big fan of the BBQ. We eat a lot of grilled chicken and grilled lean pork in this house. A standard dinner here usually consists of grilled chicken/pork, baked potatoes topped with fat free sour cream and chopped green onions (No Name brand makes the BEST fat-free sour cream. I would know, I've tried them all). I always serve some sort of veggie on the side, usually green beans (because they're my fave), or broccoli/cauliflower. Sometimes carrots grilled on the BBQ in a foil pack with just a little bit of cooking spray, a sprinkle of salt, and a sprinkle of Brown Sugar Twin.

Sometimes I also cook baby potatoes in a foil pack on the BBQ, with sliced onions and whole garlic cloves in the pack with a little cooking spray and a sprinkle of seasoning salt. They come out so delicious!

Quite often I also fry up some sliced mushrooms in a frying pan with a little cooking spray and some seasoning salt. 0 points and they make your dinner go farther - not to mention that they are delicious.

Sorry, no dinner pictures (I guess I'm too hungry and busy at dinner to take photos)

SNACKS:

Snacks get me through the day. If I didn't snack, I wouldn't make it. I have a few low point snacks during every day. Mostly pre-packaged stuff cuz it's easy to grab. Here's a few that I love...

First up - Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches. So so so good. IF you buy the vanilla ones. (The chocolate ones don't taste like chocolate, they taste like chemicals). These are a decent sized ice cream sandwiches and they are only 2 points each. Perfect for a hot sunny afternoon or evening:

I also love Kellogg's All Bran Bars. They really do taste good, people. Well, to me they do. And they are also only 2 points. Sometimes if I'm not too hungry in the morning, I will even have one of these for my breakfast. They're great with a nice hot cup of black tea:

Also good with a hot cup of tea - or coffee - are Fibre 1 "Oats & Chocolate" bars. Oh my god, good. They are chocolately and just the right amount of chewy. 5 grams of fibre per bar - yet they do not taste "fibre-ey". So good in fact, that I buy them by the case at Costco yet they mysteriously disappear from the pantry at an alarming rate... You know, the same way bacon does?? Again, only 2 points each:


I recently discovered Weight Watchers Chocolate Chip cookies. I was totally leery to buy them because sometimes Weight Watchers products are kind of... meh. (Like their snack cakes - don't waste your time/money/points) But I went out on a limb and bought a box of these cookies (Safeway, bakery section). SO. GLAD. I. DID! They are a perfect little treat/dessert! And get this, they are only 1 point! They contain 4 grams of fibre per cookie and they're a decent size. (On a related note I see that Steve has discovered my stash of them. I must find a new hiding place)

My other 1 point pleasure? Microwave popcorn. Since everyone is getting on the 100 calorie snack package bandwagon - popcorn now comes in 1 point snack bags. My favorite is good old Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop. (Remember, only the 100 calorie bags are 1 point each). Sometimes I will also sprinkle vinegar on my popcorn for some extra taste - but beware, that isn't for everyone.


I am not a big fruit eater. I don't like apples - I do like applesauce (and incidentally, apple pie). I buy those little snack packs of unsweetened apple sauce. They're 1 point per cup. Good for getting a serving of fruit/veggies. Easy to grab in a hurry. And for some reason applesauce carries my satiety a little further. You could also stir a package of this into a cup of instant oatmeal in the mornings for a nice warm breakfast.








That's all I have for now. All this food talk has made me hungry and the baby is now awake from her nap.

Perhaps there's another WW post in the future.