It's over

I have clearly let myself get too "involved" with the Canucks again this year only to have them break my heart (again).

Tonight they lost out of the playoffs. In round 2. I totally expected them to go farther, at least another round.

I almost liked it better when they didn't even make the playoffs. Almost. At least then I didn't get my hopes up quite so high only to have my heart lacerated into shreds by the skate blades of the Chicago Blackhawks.

As for the "lucky" Canuck jersey that Ruby had been wearing... we're not sure why it only worked in the first round, we tried to do everything exactly the same for each game. It is now located at the bottom of the laundry basket, saturated in baby vomit (and mommy tears). Not sure when I'll be strong enough to look at it again, much less wash it.

I will be forever thankful that I was able to watch the game with only Steve and Ruby to witness my grief tonight. We watched the horror unfold from the privacy of our living room, behind closed doors (and behind closed blinds after the 3rd period when I started losing my mind and Steve was afraid the neighbors might see me and call the "men in white coats").

And so I bid a sad farewell to my beloved Canucks, and to hockey. I am not sure if I can or will continue following the playoffs. It would just be too painful.

Excuse me now, I must go call my therapist and then cry myself to sleep.