Junk collectors

Where I live, people sometimes put unwanted household items on the curb and other people sometimes come and take the unwanted items away.

Down the street from me, I came upon an old wooden dresser sitting out on the curb. It was certainly nothing special and was in rough shape. Scratched up. Missing knobs. Kids stickers stuck on it. But I saw potential in it. Plus I was in desperate need of something to rest my printer on in my "office" and I don't have a lot of money to spend.

Plus, the challenge of a little project had me interested.

It was with great effort that I convinced Steve to help me retrieve the piece of junk. Clearly he felt embarrassed about pulling up in front of someone's house and hauling away a piece of garbage that they had thrown out. I also think he was afraid we'd be somehow accused of stealing because he asked me, "Does it say anything on it?"

I said, "Like what?"

He said, "Like, FREE???"

In the end I talked him into helping me load it into the back of our car. Under the cover of night, we may well have completed the fastest junk pickup of all time.

Here's what it looked like when we brought it home:



I picked up some paint and knobs at a discounted price since Steve works for a building supply company and gets a wicked discount at a certain home renovation store.

It didn't turn out exactly as I had envisioned but for under 20 bucks, I ended up with this:


As we were carrying the finished product in the house, Steve asked me if I wanted to go drive around to look for more "junk".