No free lunch in this house

Last night I left the house shortly after 6pm, toting nothing but a purse. That's right - no diaper bag, no carseat, no baby, no breastpump.

I went into the city and got myself a haircut and then met a girlfriend for a drink (ok, two).

Where was Baby Ruby during this time? She was at home, under her daddy's direct supervision. And yes, this was a big first.

I fully expected to come home to a screaming baby, dirty diapers strewn across the living room floor, smoke billowing from the stove, dog pee and/or poop the floor, and Steve on the phone with my mother asking her what to do...

Instead, the only thing I could possibly find wrong when I got home was that Ruby was wearing a sleeper that was sized 6-9 months - and she's only 3 months old. This is something I can live with.

I was really impressed that he did such a great job and wasn't sure why he was so helpful and eager for me to get out. (Go on, we'll be fine. You deserve it!)

And then just when I was content and laying my head on my pillow to go to sleep last night he casually mentioned that he had been invited for cocktails after work on Friday and would I mind if he went...?

And there it is people. There truly is no such thing as a free lunch.