A good soup is hard to find

I love a good bowl of soup. However I find it very difficult to actually find a good bowl of soup. I despise canned soup (except when in certain recipes). I've tried all different kinds and have decided that they all taste gross when from a can. Even in most restaurants these days, the soup is from a can.

It's hard to argue that home made soup is the best.

Trying to find the time to make home made soup, is difficult.

So yesterday, since it was Steve's day off - I had him entertain Ms. Ruby for an hour or two while I made some home made soup. (After which he required an hour long nap - he would never survive a day in my world).

I found a fantastic recipe for mushroom soup and took a chance on it even though it calls for apple. (I pride myself on my open mind).

So after chopping, measuring, sauteing, stirring - I made a masterpeice called Forest Mushroom Chowder.


Forest Mushroom Chowder:

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup sliced (chopped) onions
1/2 cup diced carrots
3 cups sliced wild mushrooms (chanterelle, morel, chiitake, and/or oyster)
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup diced potatoes
1/4 cup frozen corn niblets
1/2 apple, peeled and diced
2 bay leaves
3 Tbsp sherry
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
salt and freshly ground pepper

In large saucepan, heat oil and saute garlic, onions, carrots and mushrooms. Do not brown.

Add stock and cream to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.

Add potatoes, corn, apple, bay leaves, sherry and parsley to soup. Simmer about 1/2 hour. Remove bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.


(actual photo of my soup!)

Seriously. It's so good. And today I baked some tea biscuits to go with it. (the batter came from a package - just add milk, knead, cut out and bake!)

Delicious!

Sadly, it's so good that Steve pretty much polished it all off today on his lunch. Which kinda is annoying since I thought I would have it all week for my lunch. *sigh*