Four in the bed and the little one said...

Roll over! Roll over!
So they all rolled over and one fell out,

Three in the bed and the little one said....



(brushing up on my nursery rhymes lately??)


At one time, there were just two in the bed. Me and Steve - and it was quite cozy. Then along came Quincy. She was so tiny and small and adorable when she was a puppy that right from day one, we let her sleep in our bed.


First we thought we'd "train her" to sleep at the foot of the bed on a blanket. Well that didn't work out at all as she preferred to be under the covers. And to be honest, we didn't really mind because she was so cute and cuddly and adorable. We decided that "eventually" we would start making her sleep in her own bed...


And then it was 7 years later and she was still sleeping in our bed. Actually it was more like she was letting us sleep in our bed - with her. Over the years she has managed to commandeer our queen sized bed and we just work around her - often times trying not to disturb her. And it's not like she'd curl up in a little ball at the foot of the bed and stay there for the night. No. She would go under the covers if she was cold, she would crawl out from under the covers when she got too warm, she would lay cross-wise in the middle of the bed - separating Steve and I, she would take up valuable foot space at the bottom of the bed.


Try to move her to get more comfortable, and you would get a snarly, bitchy, bad-breath facefull of bad attitude Boston Terrier.


Since Steve is pretty much a solid, through-the-night sleeper, and because he would do just about ANYTHING for his precious Quincy - I put up with this for far longer than I ever should have. But a couple of months ago I started to break it gently to Steve that the days of Quincy sleeping in/on our bed, are numbered. I simply cannot imagine trying to survive the sleepless nights of dealing with a new baby, while also trying to work around Quincy's sleeping habits - in my bed. He begrudgingly agreed that it was time for Quincy to graduate to her own sleeping quarters. And we agreed that when we moved into our new house (at the end of August) that Quincy would start sleeping in her own bed...


Until one night last week when I was uncomfortable and in a bit of a cranky mood - and Quincy was particularly restless and annoying. I made the decision then and there, that there is no longer room in our bed for Steve, Tarable, Tarable's 5-Month Pregnant Belly, and Quincy.


One of us had to go.


Quincy's bed (which she's more than happy to sleep in during the day) was brought into our room and put on floor on my side of the bed. She was instructed, firmly by me, that she was to lay in her bed and STAY there. The guilt trip started immediately - the pathetic, sad, buggy eyes bore into me all night. I could even feel them when I was sleeping. I'm not sure that she closed them, or laid down all night.

She did attempt to sneak into our bed sometime in the middle of the night when she was sure I was asleep - but I am a light sleeper and she was immediately sent back to her own bed.



And now - a week later, she is fully trained to sleep in her own little bed. Yes, she will occasionally get to her bed by walking across, pausing, and sometimes sitting down on my bed - looking longingly at me, hoping I will give in. It's pitiful, really...



But in the end, I really do think she's content to sleep in her own bed anyways - once she settles in.