Nudge, Nudge

I feel like I got a gentle nudge from Bone Junior - to snap me out of my pissy little blog strike and write something. She's been paying attention to the books I've been reading on the left and left a comment after my last post asking me what I thought of them.

I'll go back a couple of books ago to A Thousand Splendid Suns. I went through this one at top speed. A really good read that I would recommend. It's about two women living in Afghanistan and the lives that they were forced to live and how they endured. I absolutely loved it. And if you loved The Kite Runner there is a very good chance that you will also love A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I then moved on to Beautiful Boy on the recommendation of my friend Marta who read a review about this book and the book Tweak and thought that I would enjoy them. Beautiful Boy, written by David Sheff, is the story of a family man who's son became addicted to crystal meth (and later heroin). He details his life and how extremely difficult it was to try to manage life with a child who is an addict. I found some parts of this book a little bit monotonous and somewhat boring. He spends a lot of his time talking about his every day life. How he got up, drank coffee, helped his wife get his two young children ready for school, how he took his young daughter to soccer practice, how they had a nice time at the beach, etc. etc. etc. While I get what he was trying to do - which is show how normal and happy and loving his family was yet he still had an addict son - it got to be a bit much at times. I understand that his point was that it could happen to any parent. He also spends a lot of time talking about all the research he did into addiction, crystal meth, rehab etc. and he sometimes explained that until I wanted to close the book and give up. But in the end, I am glad I persevered because it was an alright book.

And the book I'm reading now is Tweak by Nic Sheff. Recognize the last name? Nic Sheff is the son of David Sheff (see above). This book is written from the perspective of the son who was/is the meth/heroin addict. I've only gotten about an eighth of the way through this book but I have already had to close it up and put it down a couple of times. It is raw. It is gritty. And it's scary. It is the complete opposite of Beautiful Boy, which illustrates a happy normal life except for the one exception. Tweak, goes into detail of the disgusting, horrific, awful world of drug addicts. It makes me feel kind of sick in the tummy to read some of the stuff. But still it's interesting and I'm anxious to get through it and see this other perspective.

If you wanted to read both Beautiful Boy and Tweak, I would definitely advise to read Beautiful Boy first, Tweak second.

And I hope I never have a family member or friend who becomes addicted to crystal meth.