Pretty Salad

Yes, it's a recipe post.

I'm sorry! I can't help it. Things are a little slow here in the Land of Tarable. At least I'm trying!

I made this salad on Saturday when my family came over to visit for dinner. I served it with the lasagna that my mom had made for me that I had stashed in my freezer and some deadly homemade, real-garlic bread.

I don't know if it was the remarkable salad or what - but a remarkable thing happened after dinner... my brother cleaned up the kitchen. I mean, he didn't just throw a couple of empties into an empty case and call it clean. I mean, he loaded the dishwasher, wiped down the counter and cleaned up my stove. He also asked for the broom and swept up. Anyone who knows him will know how truly remarkable this is. But if I'm going to be truly honest with myself I can't say that it was the salad that made him do it because as grown up as cleaning the kitchen is - he still doesn't eat veggies like a grown up and that means he didn't have any salad. But that's ok. All the more for me.


Pomegranate Dried Cranberry and Feta Salad

salad
1 head Romain lettuce, washed and torn
1 bunch spinach, stems removed, torn
Seeds of 1 pomegranate 1/2 cup dried cranberries*
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

dressing
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper

Toss lettuce and spinach together in a large salad bowl. Add pomegranate seeds dried cranberries, pine nuts and feta.Whisk dressing ingredients together and store in refrigerator. Toss with salad ingredients just before serving.

The salad is so pretty! The red and white on the green? I love it! And the taste? Delicious! I love it. Steve and were fighting over the leftovers.





*When I read this:

"break the pomegranate apart and pop the seeds out by hand. Wear an apron - the juice stains!"

I quickly realized that I would be using the suggested substitution of dried cranberries "in case pomegranates aren't available". Or... in case patience, time and an apron aren't available. Which they weren't. Or aren't. Ever.


The dried cranberries were perfect anyways.