The heroin kept me up too late

I was up wayyy past my normal bed time last night. At one point I even shut off the lights and tried to sleep but I couldn't. The heroin kept me awake. So I turned the light on and went back for more. It's addictive you know. And I'm hooked.

Of course you all know that I am talking about my latest book purchase, The Heroin Diaries: A year in the life of a shattered rock star by Nikki Six. I've been contemplating buying this book for some time now but admittedly, stubbornly, I have put it off because everyone was making such a big deal about it. And I hate that. I am not much of a follower and generally don't like to do things that everyone else is doing. But while at the local bookstore yesterday there were stacks and stacks and stacks of the book and so I picked one up and flipped through it.

It is unlike any book I've ever read or even seen before. It is both beautiful and ugly at the same time. The pages are thick and almost metalic (??) feeling with bold illustrations. I read a couple of excerpts while standing in the store and soon found myself marching to the till eager and willing to pay the ridiculous "canadian" price.

And so last night I started reading and I couldn't stop. I love/hate it when this happens. If only I were a kept woman and didn't have to worry about getting up for work the next day - I would have read all night long.

Alas, I struggled to wake this morning after a late night of binge drinking, snorting coke to stay awake and repeatedly shooting heroin with Nikki.

I *highly* reccomend this book - although it's not for the faint of heart.


Footnote: Observant readers will have noticed that I have added a new feature, "What I'm Reading" to the right hand side of my blog.