No Country For Book Snobs

A while back I read the book "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. One of the best books I’ve ever read, no sooner had I finished reading the last page was I on my way to the book store to find more books by this author. What I found was that only books that the bookstore was carrying by this author were “westerns”. I’m not too much into westerns and so I declined to purchase any of Cormac’s other books.

Fast forward to last night… I went to see the movie No Country For Old Men. The first time I saw the trailer for this movie I knew that it was something I HAD to see. I made a conscious effort to find out as little about it as possible. I didn’t read any reviews or summaries and to be honest, I wasn’t even sure what the story was about – and that’s the way I like it. Because why would I want to spoil a movie by being tainted with somebody else’s opinions and ideas? I went into it as a completely clean slate. Not a big movie kind of gal, it’s very rare that a movie ever comes out that I’m DYING to see. But last night, walking to the movie theatre, I was almost giddy with excitement.

I loved the movie*. Thoroughly. Enjoyed. It. Unfortunately, I’m no good at writing movie (or book) reviews so I’ll spare you my babble. But what I found out as I was sitting in the dark theatre after the movie was over and the credits were rolling on the screen, was that this movie was based on the novel by none other than… Cormac McCarthy.

DAMMIT!!!!

WHY OH WHY did I snub the book??? This would have been a FANTASTIC book to read. Obviously I cannot read it now, I’ve already seen the movie!!! And also, as I have mentioned before, I wouldn’t be caught dead with a book in my hand that is currently being shown in theatres.

Lesson learned. No more judging a book by it’s genre. I’ll be heading to the bookstore this week to pick up any other books by Cormac McCarthy and then holing up in my house franticly reading them before any more of them are made into movies (as I understand there is another in the making).




*Future blog post coming regarding a particular scene in No Country For Old Men.