Get a tourniquet on it

There is a scene in No Country For Old Men when Tommy Lee Jones (Bell) is speaking with his brother (Ellis) about the man who put him in a wheelchair:


Bell: That man that shot you died in prison.

Ellis: In Angola. Yeah.

Bell: What would you a done if he'd been released?

Ellis: I don't know. Nothin. Wouldn't be no point to it.

Bell: I'm kindly surprised to hear you say that.

Ellis: All the time you spend tryin to get back what's been took from you there's more goin out the door. After a while you just try and get a tourniquet on it.


Ok, this speaks to me. Loudly. I myself have spent a lot of time in my life trying to get back what I’ve lost only to essentially lose more – in a sense. There comes a time when a person needs to just accept what has happened, learn from it, stop the bleeding and move on. After seeing this scene in the movie, lights went on and bells went off - in my head, of course. (And not just the punk’s cellphone who was seated next to me)

DING DING DING!!!

Time to get a tourniquet on things.